Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Hi Friends,
I'm sorry I haven't been homeschool blogging lately...I've been doing some digital scrapping and filling that blog instead. I do have some photos of what we've been doing lately, and some new ones of the baby, too...I'll try to get those downloaded tonight so that I can upload them here.
I love the teacher resource publisher Evan-Moor, I even signed up for their newsletter. Today they sent me a really neat freebie by email. It's three writing frames for Thanksgiving...a turkey, pilgrim boy and pilgrim girl. The frames are two page print-outs to color, and then you put your child's writing in between. I think the pictures are really, really cute...so I thought I'd share...here's the direct link. I think you'll like them, too!

Have you popped over to check out my digital scrapbook yet? I hope you do soon...and leave me a note so I know you stopped by!

Hmmm...let's see, what have we been up to lately? Well, today is day 58...which means we are 1/3 of the way through school already! I can't believe it. We're learning the different addition facts for 10, counting the minutes on a clock by 5s and getting better at transitioning from counting one type of coin to another (example: dimes to nickels to pennies - we haven't started on quarters yet.) I'm very pleased with the girls progress in the coin area. We have been doing a spelling program (Evan-Moor) for a few weeks now, and it has dictation built in twice a week...the girls now start and end sentences correctly without needing to be reminded.

OH! I just remembered...lol... I was in the store with B, and we were in the craft dept. She noticed a large package of beads for kids and read it..."Mom, this box has ten-thousand beads in it!" I couldn't believe it! She recognized and correctly read the number 10,000 on the box! I asked her how she knew that was ten-thousand, and her reply? "It has three zeros" duh...I still have NO idea how she did it!

B is reading Little House My First Chapter Books now, and G (having just gotten her very own library card *Ü*) is reading Mr. Putter and Tabby books. Both girls are reading very well.

Yesterday we did some baking, and I had the girls reading the recipe card sentence by sentence as we mixed up the cookies. They put on my grandmother's aprons, and I just love that connection we have to her. We used it as a learning time for not just reading and following directions, but recognizing measurements in a recipe. The cookies were very yummy! Peanutbutter cookies are my favorite!

The timer is beeping, the pizza is ready...gotta run!

*Ü* Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave your thoughts here...