Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Memorization of Poetry & Math Concepts

Hello again,
I mentioned yesterday (was it yesterday?) how I had been inspired by another blogger to have my children memorize some poetry...well, I think I also mentioned taking some video of B reciting our morning prayer poem...before I show it to you, I thought I should probably credit the sources; however, when I went to gather them, I found them to be anonymous prayers for children. So, ours is a blend of 4-5 simple children's morning prayers:



My darling son wanted to sing a song for me...so he made this one up on the fly:


And I have to tell you, yesterday after I finished checking email, and before school began, I found dd5 spontaneously doing this:


If there is anyone out there who doesn't know the significance of this, read on. This is called "cumulative property" - the concept that numbers in addition (and multiplication) can be turned around and still mean the same thing. This is an easy concept for adults, but not so much for children. Most kids see 5+1=6 as a different addition problem than 1+5=6. I was so thrilled to see B doing this without any prodding from me (except the Math Minute white board being ready with the sentence...she filled in the number.)

She was a little shy about getting her picture taken, hence the reason she is hiding behind the board. In order to even get her to let me take the photo, I had to first let her and ds4 play with my camera...so they took some pictures, and had me take some of them...and this is a really nice one of them:


Yesterday was Veteran's Day, and I had a hard time finding any activities online to do on this day. We ended up just discussing it, and doing a word search. If you have an idea for an activity for elementary aged students, please share it with me.

Did you know Friday is National Teddy Bear Day? We're planning something very special, so you'll have to check back to see just what we do! I can't wait. I'll have to scrapbook those pages...or maybe smile box it...we'll see.

Have a wonderful day!

*Ü* Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave your thoughts here...