Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pleasantly Surprised by "An Amish Kitchen" (Book Review)




I recently read An Amish Kitchen, three stories in one book by authors Beth Wiseman, Kelly Long and Amy Clipston. I am not familiar with any of these authors but have read many other Amish fiction, and quite honestly wasn’t sure if there stories would hold my interest. I was pleasantly surprised with each one! “A Taste of Faith” by Kelly Long enchanted me from the start with the mischievous antics of the children next door to Fern and her gradual, yet realistic attraction to Abram. The romance in “A Spoonful of Love” was slower and longer to bloom, but the story was just as engaging. I had my doubts about the last story, “A Recipe for Hope”, but I think it turned out to be my favorite of the three. It brought tears to my eyes several times!

All of the stories are a short, fast read; they kept me interested in the characters and their circumstances. I would recommend this books to fans of Amish fiction, as well as to fans of romance. There are many Amish words and phrases scattered liberally through the stories, and the list of definitions at the beginning of the book is helpful… but sometimes I found the Amish term distracting. If you’ve read a lot of Amish fiction, many of the words will be familiar to you, but some won’t and it was these that I had to keep turning to the front for.

Lastly, I am excited to use the recipes at the end of the book – especially the soft pretzel recipe from “A Spoonful of Love”! – These are my honest opinions, I am not paid by Thomas Nelson (the publisher of this book) but have been provided with the book at no charge (through BookSneeze.com) expressly for my review.


*Ü* Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave your thoughts here...